The Wilshire Grand Center in Los Angeles, California won the American Institute of Steel Construction’s (AISC’s) ‘National’ award in the projects greater than $200 million category.
AISC recognized nine structural steel projects in the 2020 Innovative Design in Engineering and Architecture with Structural Steel (IDEAS2) awards program. The awards are the highest honor the U.S. structural steel industry bestows upon buildings and other structures around the country.
The Wilshire project team included:
- Steel fabricator, detailer, and erector: Schuff Steel Company, San Diego *AISC Member* *AISC Certified*Architect: AC Martin Partners, Inc., Los Angeles
- Structural engineer: Brandow & Johnston, Los Angeles
- General contractor: Turner Construction Company, Los Angeles
- Project ownership: Hanjin International Corporation, Los Angeles
Each project was judged on its use of structural steel from an architectural and structural engineering perspective, with an emphasis on:
- creative solutions to the project’s program requirements;
- applications of innovative design approaches in areas such as connections, gravity systems, lateral load resisting systems, fire protection, and blast;
- aesthetic and visual impact of the project;
- innovative use of architecturally exposed structural steel (AESS);
- technical or architectural advances in the use of the steel; and
- the use of innovative design and construction methods.
A panel of design and construction industry professionals identified national and merit winners in categories based on total project cost.
Additionally, the panel awarded the Sculpture/Installation/Non-Building Structures Award.
The other 2020 award-winning project in the greater than $200 million category ‘Merit’ is Sutter Health CPMC Van Ness Campus – Viscous Wall Dampers in San Francisco, California.
The project team included:
- Steel fabricator and erector: The Herrick Corporation, Stockton, Calif. *AISC Member* *AISC Certified*
- Steel detailer and bender/roller: PDC Asia Pacific, Manila, Philippines
- Architect: SmithGroup, San Francisco
- Structural engineer: Degenkolb, San Francisco
- General contractor: Hererro Builders, San Francisco
- Project ownership: Sutter Health, Sacramento, Calif.
For more information on the awards, click here. Awards for each winning project will be presented to the team members involved in the design and construction of the structural framing system at ceremonies held at each of the winning projects throughout this year.