California Construction News staff writer
PCL Construction has been selected by AEG as general contractor for the capital improvements to the iconic Crypto.com Arena and L.A. LIVE’s Xbox Plaza. Renovations will reimagine nearly all aspects of the venue, entry and plaza.
PCL constructed the 960,000 sq. ft. arena previously known as STAPLES Center in 1998, six months ahead of schedule. AEG will work with PCL once again to complete extensive renovations to every level of the venue.
“We look forward to continuing our partnership with AEG to provide a world-class experience for guests of the arena and L.A. LIVE’s Xbox Plaza,” said Michael Headrick, vice president and district manager for PCL Construction’s Los Angeles area.
Construction will continue through 2024 but the arena will remain open during all phases of the renovation.
“Over the years, it’s been incredibly rewarding to see how this arena has brought people together to create memorable moments in the sporting and entertainment industry and we are excited to play a part in continuing that legacy.”
Wayne Melnyk, who has been with PCL for 46 years, was the general superintendent on the original STAPLES Center project and is now serving as project director on this renovation.
“During the 18-month construction period and more than 2 million hours invested into the original project, we learned the intricacies behind every square foot of this facility,” said Melnyk. “Myself, along with Rick Garcia who was also involved in the original construction as the structural superintendent, are transferring that institutional knowledge to this renovation project.”
Wide-ranging renovations to the arena and Xbox Plaza will create new and refreshed spaces on multiple levels throughout the arena and all public and backstage areas of Crypto.com Arena, including:
- A reimagined City View Terrace with flexible indoor-outdoor dining and entertainment experiences where fans can eat, drink and socialize while overlooking the expansive downtown Los Angeles skyline to the north and the arena bowl to the south.
- The development of Crypto.com Arena’s first-ever multi-level Tunnel Club that will feature new hospitality spaces and an exclusive Event Level viewing experience that offers select season ticket members and other VIP guests a personal backstage window to watch players and performers as they enter and exit their locker rooms.
- An expanded and reimagined Chairman’s Club that will offer select season ticket members and VIP guests with new benefits and experiences at Crypto.com Arena’s most private and sought-after location before, during, and after events.
- The creation of the arena’s first-ever Main Concourse suites that will provide guests with premium seating’s closest view of the action on the court, ice or stage.
- The installation of two new LED screens and ribbon boards visible to the upper and lower bowl seating areas.
- A redesigned and upgraded Impact Sports Bar & Grill on the Main Concourse that will include new food and beverage menus.
- Improvements to the Main Concourse marked by an entirely new arrival experience, as well as upgrades to the Upper-Level Concourse including new food offerings, among other fan amenities.
- A redesign of the dining areas in the Yaamava’ and Lexus Clubs, as well as other hospitality spaces.
- A refresh of the arena’s Premium and Suite Level Entrances, Concourses throughout the venue as well as the locker rooms of the Kings, Lakers and Sparks.